Wednesday, March 19, 2008

YOU'RE EXCEPTIONAL

Hello and Happy Holiday everybody! Hope all is well. For St. Patrick's Day this year, how about we all think green and do something friendly for the Earth? Maybe throw that empty bottle in the recycle bin instead of the trash, just once. Maybe, just for the holiday, you can refrain from throwing that cigarette butt down on the ground, and actually throw it away! Yay! St. Patty's Day!
Watch Lil' Bush! It's very, very funny.


I had fun at the Wonder Con in San Fran, and then at the BTW convention the following week. I actually got to mark out a bit hanging with the stars of the 80's I used to watch. The Hart Foundation, Honky Tonk Man ( He can sing and he can dance), Harley Race, and Damn- it was so good to see Dr. Death Steve Williams!
Thanks to everyone I saw at Wizard World Convention last weekend in Los Angeles! It was a good show, a great time and we got some awesome footage for RVD TV with friends Mic Foley, Ray Parks, Daniel Logan, Scott Schwartz, Fat Momma and other celebrities, and of course, the extreme fans of California!


As you know, I'm not traveling too far these days. That fact remains, in spite of all the offers I get every day to wrestle or sign autographs in different parts of the world. Having said that, there is something on the horizon I should tell you about. At the end of March, I am scheduled to pull my suitcase out of the closet yet again, and this time...I need to pack my singlet and boots! Ready for this? March 28 and 29, RVD returns to the ring...in Portugal!!! Since you saw my last match in WWE in June, I have only wrestled twice. You saw the blink-of-an-eye return on the RAW 15 year anniversary show. My match with Booker T in PWA is this week's episode for RVD TV. Now, I'm getting ready for my return, and my first time in Portugal. Can't make it to the show? That's all right, RVD TV members, you know I'll bring it to you. I have been having a blast with RVD TV and from the feedback of the members, so has everyone else. I don't know how many times we've filmed an episode and said "This is our best one yet!" but it does keep getting better and better. Through RVD TV, fans have been inspired to grow, think outside the box, question authority, be positive, take care of their health-physical, mental and spiritual, improve their relationships, and enjoy life! I feel like it's serving it's purpose!


While some negative people will say I claim to be perfect, I claim the opposite. I know that I like me better today than I did last year, and I know that this pattern will continue as I go through life, learning and growing inside. I urge others to follow this way of life, but not to agree with everything I say or do. That's your choice, which I encourage you to realize, and to own. No one can take that from you. It's always about making sensible choices.


Here's something I run into a lot, when using my personal experiences to draw from as examples for motivation. Well, you're an exception. Now, I realize that most of you have not been World Champions, but some of you have been champions of different passions. Some of you never wanted to be. Whatever the case, you are exceptional, too. There's never been another you before. Unless they specifically surveyed you for the statistics, they aren't talking about you specifically when they give the intimidating numbers. When I was 18, I entered a contest to win a t-shirt at the Battle Creek Toughman Contest. Out of every one in the arena, who ever punched the target the hardest got the shirt at the end of the night. My "why not" attitude justified a chance, and although the odds were against me, I still have that t-shirt. Somewhere. Anyway, I trained hard, and entered the next contest in Kalamazoo 3 months later. Against all odds, I made it to the main event and took runner-up to a seasoned veteran of the ring. That was me though, and I'm an exception, right? I dreamed of being a professional wrestler, as a child, and made it happen. Yeah, but-I'm an exception. I wanted to be different than all the other wrestlers and stand out instead of copying someone else. Yeah, but-I'm an exception. I was a huge fan of martial arts movies and wanted to be in them. I found out how to make it happen. I'm an exception. Okay, so maybe I just have mad fighting skills. Is that it?


I love being married, even after ten years, and miss my wife when we're apart. Yeah, but-I'm an exception. If you keep telling yourself that- maybe you'll feel better about yourself-falling short of your dreams. Hey-I'm all for living the exciting life so you guys can live through me, but I'm a happy person and I want everyone else to be happy too so we can all enjoy the gift of life. Do you remember when the WWE sent the boys to Iraq for that "volunteer" trip that I didn't go on a few years ago? So many of my peers didn't want to go but didn't have the ball to say so. They felt like they wouldn't get away with saying "no" to the boss and decided they respected me for doing it. Guess what they told themselves? RVD's an exception.
I told them what I'm telling you. Anyone can do the things that they think only I can!It's called "going for it".

You can sit in the audience and talk about how good you'd do on stage, or you can go for it, and show us. Usually, when you think about the worst that could happen, it's not enough to keep you from going for it. The first time I remember being "exceptional" was when my second grade teacher wanted my parents to consider putting me in an advanced class and to skip third grade. Didn't know that one, did you? Academically gifted, was what she said. There's where that sense comes in to play to make good choices. You know what that tells me? I've been very good at paying attention- to school, to life, and to people. THEY may have you feeling like dreams aren't worth chasing, but I know better.It's your life. Don't let anyone make you feel otherwise. So, you just don't feel like it's worth it? Remember that commercial "Someone's going to win the lottery- Why not you?" I'll second that question, and there are a lot of rich lottery winners that will agree.
Don't sell yourself short. Really. Who wants to be another statistic?

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are the best RVD! Love RVDTV.. Best site ever!

March 19, 2008 at 1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey RVD, I agree with that your saying and I've thought about it too, but everyone thinks that way, even yourself on occasions I assume.

People tend to feel that age is what's holding them back from fulfilling their passion and by people I mean me.

Decent post.

March 19, 2008 at 2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we love you, rob! sending you some love deep in the heart of Booker T's hometown, Houston. RVD, you're so cool. thanks for all the great memories and thanks for showing up to PWA in dec. I'm sure you were very happy with the crowd that night. LOVE YOU RVD, COME BACK TO HOUSTON!

March 21, 2008 at 9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see you in Portugal. Will be a blast !

March 23, 2008 at 9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn do i love RVDTV! i must have watched the first episode a hundred times. love the message. love the blog too. always got us thinking.

March 24, 2008 at 8:01 PM  
Blogger rgp420 said...

hi rob love the site and you are the best do you like iron maiden hope to see you back in the ring soon but take your time

March 28, 2008 at 11:51 PM  
Blogger JAYLTEAVI said...

Hi Rob,Pretty nice comments.Reading write about how your class teacher wanting you to to skip up a grade reminded me about one of your kid photos.Yep i thinking about the one where you have glasses if i remember right.You know how in TV people always make up kids who wear glasses as being smart so it looks like you went right with that class.

About being perfect i kind of hear that alot. I'm not going to say it's about me. I just want to say
thats what god eventually wants us to be perfect.Think about it Adam & Eve were perfect,jesus was always perfect. But Adam & Eve ruin there perfection.See in this live it's easy for people to do the wrong things.And people as they get older & older usually leave behind the better ways they were when they were younger.Because usually people
really easily bring negative things
to themselves. Then they dont know how to go back to the ways they were before.When i say back i mean more when we were more kind of a child or kid. Where children are usually more humble.So if people plan on being a better person or being smarter it's important to bring or add positve things to our lifes in a daily bases and ofcoure always remember the good ways we've been and never let that go.People just cant expect
to GOD changes us with out we letting ourselve be change for the better. And when Jehovah eliminates
Satan from this cruel world it will be alot easier to be better with out the influence he brings among us when we fail to sustain ourself from just letting negative things in our life over & over.

Rob glad your happy and i always hope for your best like you wrote once.(regarding hope)Even if i never write here now or sometime in the future.For any given reason
i hope you continue to do whats right.And continue be be happy
and always close to your loved ones.I believe you bring something positive in live to people.I'm
also glad you didn't kiss ass like others do by going to Irak. I read
about it once in which you said
you weren't secure about your safety down there. And i understand
that. Because anything can happen
and i wouldn't risk myself either.
I remember seeing a reporter in irak talking in TV the next day
regretably he was dead and part of the news in a different way.Never can Tell.(from the movie big trouble in little china)

Anyway i'm sure others feared not to go.but i guess you looked fear in the Eye and said screw you. I can live in Fear in this life because of my loved onced and all.But the only fear in life we should be worry about is fearing not to do Gods will.thats the fear
we could ride all our lifes.till the time comes.

Anyway Rob like i said before if i ever miss to not right here again for any reasons i will always remember you as not only being one of a kind. But just plain and simple having a good heart.By charing with your fans being true to your self and helping others realize that were all good be more then ordinary we could be the great
in our own way.And for people who are sick or old etc. You could still be great now and continue to be better in jesus 2nd coming. howe ver that might be.

Rob take care as always to you and your loved once and all your great fans. From me and probally all your
biggest fans in this site and every where J.L.-T.V. your Bloq friend.

till next time gadget next time.Bye.

March 29, 2008 at 12:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"You can sit in the audience and talk about how good you'd do on stage, or you can go for it, and show us"
I read this and I was inspired. I am an average drawer, but I never try using photoshop, or using colors on my works.
But, you know what? I have to show you. I don't need to tell anybody how good can I be. I have to show you.
That's why I'm here, to show Rob.
[URL=http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=robvandamcopyqs7.jpg][IMG]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3028/robvandamcopyqs7.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Thank you for letting me grow.

April 7, 2008 at 5:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh damn...I tried to put a picture of my creation but I think I couldn't... I'll find a way to show you rob.
Thank you anyway

April 7, 2008 at 5:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rob great blog as usual hope to see you in the ring again soon all great superstars should be like you and be so happy and relaxed about everything

April 8, 2008 at 4:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nihao RVD-san,

Keeping busy as usual, huh? Yea, WonderCon was incredible. Still, I'll envy you the BTW convention because it sounds like that was a fun and positive experience.

Wow. Hope that Portugal was good to you and yours - that's quite a trip, especially given the current unraveling chaos in the airline industry. Hope that you didn't get stranded anywhere. If you've already returned to the City of Angels, welcome home!

Belated congratulations on the ten year anniversary. That is truly wonderful. May you and SVD-san continue to find happiness together. Also... Realize this might be a tiny bit early but in case SVD-san is reading over your shoulder, happy birthday to her. Stay sweet, SVD-san! Health, hugs and many thanks to you for your enduring patience.

On the subject of being exceptional I will admit to having some mixed feelings. For example, while there is no doubt that you are brilliant and unique... RVD-san, if you were completely and literally exceptional then the professional wrestling industry would be a rather lonely place. This is part of the challenge, I suppose, in making positive words stick. It can be difficult to convince a person that they are in fact exceptional when the world is so full of other people with whom they wish to compare themselves. The struggle to balance individual identity against social roles can be very frustrating at times. Granted - people have the right to decide what sort of self-image they embrace. But self-esteem is just one of those delicate things that nobody on Earth can repair easily. Speaking the words doesn't make a person willing to hear or believe them. Personally, I know that we are all exceptional. Wish that everyone knew.

Many people have remarked that 'the only failures are the people who don't try'. While I appreciate and agree with the positive vibe, in light of the condition of certain people in my life... I turn to The Chou Tzu for comfort and would like to add that even those people who don't try, maybe they are not failures. Maybe they have succeeded at not trying. Perhaps it is their correct life path, to do so. Perhaps they exist to teach the rest of us patience. *shrugs* I don't know.

War zones are not places for positive energy. Honestly, I'm surprised that anyone not employed by the government chooses to visit such areas. Grateful and glad, in some cases, but still surprised.

Although I do respect and appreciate the troops - most of the troops I've known and known of are/were decent people who had limited job options and simply couldn't/didn't want to walk away from the military pay, benefits and scholarship package - I have to acknowledge that 'support the troops' strikes me as a twisted piece of propaganda. Forgive me but isn't the logic flaw obvious? Soldiers are considered government property. Therefore, the troops do not directly defend our freedom - they defend our government. Whether or not our government upholds or defends our freedom, that should be a whole separate debate - right? That's all.

Some of us... We understand that our dreams are worth chasing, we just can't clearly remember what the heck our dreams were. Have you ever walked into a room and then stood there wondering what you came in after? It's sort of like that. No worries, I know I'm in this world for a reason... It's just taking me a bit to figure the reason out.

Eh. Two steps forward, one step back. Cali was absolutely amazing and despite the fact that the move scared me half to death, in hindsight I don't regret a minute of it. My time in Cali did wonders for my confidence level. However I've managed to return to my roots for now and am seeking to stabilize my life for a while. Please wish me courage, I'll always welcome a little extra.

Hey, you know - there are good statistics too. We don't hear about the good statistics as often but if I could choose then I'd want to be counted somewhere among those. One less victim. One less potential patient. One more person who has figured out not only what their passion is but how to make a living at it. Stuff like that. Trouble is... How much do we get to choose?

Please keep taking care.

Courage and Peace!

~CalmMountain

P.S – Anyone in need of a laugh or two should visit this cute and funny site: http://icanhascheezburger.com

April 11, 2008 at 1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

QUE TAL RVD!!! ERES EL MEJOR DE LOS MEJORES... EL UNICO... ESTE SITIO ES DE LO MEJOR... SALUDOS!!!
LUIS DE AGUASCALIENTES, MEX

June 13, 2008 at 10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home